To apply to the Design Science MS or PhD Program, please click on the Apply Now button to initiate the Rackham Application process.
The ISD Design Science Program requires the following documents for application:
- Completed Rackham Graduate Program application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal Statement
- Two recommendation letters
- GRE scores (not required but recommended).
Tips When Applying
- In your Statement of Purpose, clearly discuss what your long term goals are and what specifically you want to study and/or research in the Design Science Program. Since the program is customized to each student and their goals, it is critical to be detailed in your description so that possible curriculum paths and advisors may be identified. You should name the two colleges/disciplines that you plan to integrate in your studies.
- In your Personal Statement, respond to the following question: How have your background and life experiences (including cultural, geographical, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges) motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan? For example, if you grew up in a community where educational, cultural or other opportunities were either plentiful or especially lacking, you might discuss the impact this had on your development and interests. This should be a discussion of the journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree. Please do not repeat your Statement of Purpose.
- For the Phd applicant, it is useful to list University of Michigan faculty with whom you would like to pursue research. It is encouraged to solicit a letter of recommendation from proposed faculty advisor(s), if possible. Contact faculty associated with the program and discuss your common interests and potential research work together. The program staff will assist in this process based on your application materials. Faculty not listed as affiliated with the program may also serve as advisors upon consultation with the program.