A minimum of twelve credits (12) are required to complete this Program.
- Not more than one-sixth of the credits required for any given master’s may be double-counted between a certificate and master’s program, and double-counted credits must not exceed one-half of the certificate credit hour requirement.
- Double-counting is not permitted between two certificate programs.
- Double-counting is not permitted if the student is pursuing a dual master’s degree—in that situation, all credits for the certificate must stand alone.
- No undergraduate courses may be double-counted toward the certificate credit hour requirement.
At least 6 credit-hours must be earned in the Program under the Graduate Engineering career and counted solely for the Program.
- Students must take courses from the Program Course Table below.
- Students must take ENTR 500 to complete the program. ENTR 500 can be taken at any time, but it is strongly encouraged that students take ENTR 500 before any other course.
- Students must register for at least 6 credits under the Graduate Engineering career.
- A Program Course Table Core course may be used to fulfill a Program Course Table Elective course requirement.
- Students are encouraged to petition the Certificate Committee via this form to have non-listed courses count as Elective requirements.
- Students pursuing the Program will have course registration preference.
- All courses must be letter graded.
- The only exception is Entrepreneurship Hour, which is only offered Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory for graduate students.
Students must earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (“B”) for the courses taken to complete the Certificate Program.
Only courses taken during or after the Winter 2017 semester may be counted toward the Program. Only under rare circumstances will exceptions be made following a petition submitted by students via email to IEcertificate@umich.edu. Students must complete the Program within four years.
The Application and Admittance Process
- discuss the Certificate with their academic (not research) advisor in their primary school or college, especially those courses that will be double counted, then
- with a graduate academic advisor, both sides of a dual/joint degree election form.
- If you're a Rackham student, use this form.
- If your school or college has their own form, use that.
- If your school or college does NOT have their own form, use this form.
- If you haven't taken a course yet and plan to take it in the future, please put the future term/year you plan on taking it (e.g. FA 20)
- Please include section numbers for any ENTR 599 courses (e.g. 599.021)
Students will be notified by email if their application is accepted or rejected.
If students are accepted, they will receive instructions on how to:
- Accept admittance
- Complete a Plan of Study
- Properly register for courses
- Follow and complete their Plan of Study
- Apply for and complete the Certificate