All Michigan Engineering students are placed upon their honor during all examinations, written quizzes, computer questions, homework, laboratory reports, and any other work turned in for credit, as required by the instructor. Online students often take paper-based exams with a proctor, unless the exams are take-home or online.
Students must submit the online proctor form by the deadline specified in the Proctoring Process instructions located in Canvas. If the Proctoring Process link is not listed on the course main menu, a proctor is not required (see Canvas image example below).
Chosen proctors receive the exam with detailed administering instructions typically by 3 pm the day before the scheduled exam some allowances do apply. If your proctor has not received the exam by 3 pm the day prior to the scheduled exam, please email ISDproctor@umich.edu.
Proctors should (preferred) scan and email the completed exam as a PDF attachment to ISDproctors@umich.edu, or mail using an express tracking service provided in the proctor instructions after the exam is completed. Standard mail can never be used. Students should confirm their completed exam has been returned by the proctor.
Please review the FAQs below and on our FAQ webpage for more information about the proctoring process.
Who can be my proctor?
- A work supervisor
- HR representative or training coordinator
- College or university instructors
- Public librarians
- School teachers, administrators, counselors or librarians
- Educational service officers on military installations
- American school officials at overseas facilities
- Co-workers or business associates
What information is required from my proctor?
Proctor's Full Name:
Proctor's Job Title:
Proctor's Company Name:
Proctor's Company Address:
Proctor's Professional Email Address:
Proctor's Telephone Number:
Proctor's Fax Number:
Where should I submit my proctor information?
Can I change my proctor information after I have already submitted it?
Yes, if for any reason you need to change or update your proctor during the term, you must update the information through the same online proctor form . The proctor online form entries are checked the day before exams are distributed. IF YOU CHANGE PROCTORS THE DAY OF THE EXAM, please email ISDproctors@umich.edu with a subject line: URGENT – PROCTOR CHANGE.
When will I know if I need a proctor for my course?
The Proctor Process instructions will appear in the left navigation of the course Canvas site
Do online students take the exam on a different day than the on-campus students?
No, distance learning students take the exam on the same day as our on-campus students unless otherwise stated by the professor.
When will my proctor receive the exam?
Exams are sent after the course instructor has released the exam for distribution. YOUR PROCTOR SHOULD RECEIVE THE EXAM NO LATER THAN 5:00 PM EASTERN TIME THE DAY BEFORE THE SCHEDULED EXAM.
This is my first time taking on online course. What is the process for the exam?
- The professor gives the exam to the proctor administrator typically before 3 pm the day before the scheduled exam but it varies.
- The exam is sent to all the proctors for the course typically by 3pm the day before the scheduled exam.
- The proctor administers the exam to you (the student) on the assigned exam date.
- You (the student) will return the exam to your proctor.
- Your proctor will scan and e-mail the exam to ISDproctors@umich.edu or send it express mail per the proctor instructions.
- The proctor administrator collects the exams and return them to the professor.
- Students' should never receive an electronic version of any exam unless it's been authorized by the instructor.
I have a work/personal conflict for one of the exams. Can I take the exam on another day?
Yes, you can take the exam on a different date. The date must be approved by the course professor. Please be sure to CC: ISDproctors@umich.edu in all your correspondence regarding an alternative date. *Please note, exams taken within two days after the scheduled exams are allowed and do not require approval unless specified differently by the instructor. For example, if the exam is scheduled for Wednesday, May 1st but a personal or work conflict occurs, the student has until Friday, May 3rd to take the exam provided your proctor returns the exam after it's completed. If more than two days are needed after a scheduled exam or before a scheduled exam, the student must contact the instructor for approval. Some restrictions apply.
Do I need to resubmit my proctor information if Ive already used a proctor in a previous term?
Yes, you must re-submit your proctor information for every term/course in which you are enrolled.