ISD 599N (MECHENG 569): Control of Advanced Powertrain Systems
Will cover essential aspects of electronic engine control for spark ignition (gasoline) and compression ignition (diesel) engines followed by recent control developments for direct injection, camless actuation, active boosting technologies, hybrid-electric, and fuel cell power generation. Will review system identification, averaging, feedforward, feedback, multivariable (multiple SISO and MIMO), estimation, dynamic programming, and optimal control techniques.
Open to graduate or senior students in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Aerospace, and Marine Engineering with basic control engineering and dynamics background (ME360 and ME461 equivalent). Permission from the instructor is required for senior undergraduate students.
Students should have experience in the math and controls areas listed below, particularly items 1-6. If you do not feel comfortable with these areas, you should not take this class. Items 7-8 can be studied during the class itself.
- Ordinary Differential equations
- Laplace and transfer functions (poles, zeros, DC gain)
- Frequency Domain Representation of systems and signals: bandwidth, roll-off rate, DC gain, natural, damped frequencies, etc.
- Stability, characteristic equation, eigenvalues
- Time responses, overshoot, undershoot, settling time, damping ratio, time constant, rise time, etc.
- States, state-space representation
- Basics of PID controllers, Root locus, etc.
Recommended books for Control and Systems Review:
- Modern control systems / Richard C. Dorf, Robert H. Bishop.
- Feedback control of dynamic systems / Gene F. Franklin, J. David Powell, Abbas Emami-Naeini. (particularly chapters 1-4)
- Modern control engineering / Katsuhiko Ogata.
- Control systems engineering / Norman S. Nise.
Recommended book for Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Review:
- Internal combustion engine fundamentals / John B. Heywood.
For more information about when this course will be offered, please see the ISD current and projected course schedules at the link below.