Prerequisites for Admission
Prerequisites for admission include:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related science.
- At least two years of college engineering mathematics and science (including calculus, physics, differential equations, chemistry).
- Undergraduate coursework in at least three of the core areas of automotive engineering (power and propulsion, dynamics and controls, aerodynamics and structural mechanics, and electronics).
- The equivalent of 18 months of full-time industrial engineering experience at the start of the program and understanding how organizations work from a business perspective.
- Co-op programs are considered, work study is not
- Participation in school type activities are not equivalent (e.g., SAE Baja team or Formula 1 team or solar car)
- Hobby activities do not count
- SUGS, UM undergraduates and domestic Bachelor of Science in Engineering students with exceptionally strong Auto related undergraduate records are encouraged to apply; these candidates will be considered for admission with a waived work requirement.
- Please refer to ISD’s Application Materials webpage for the full list of required application materials.
Detailed information about U-M tuition and fees for academic programs is available at the Office of the Registrar. The U-M Board of Regents sets tuition for the upcoming academic year at its annual June meeting. Please note financial aid opportunities for graduate students are limited. More information on these opportunities and the cost of attendance is available at ISD Financial Aid website, the U-M College of Engineering’s website on financial aid, and the University of Michigan’s general Financial Aid website, we encourage you to perform detailed research on these costs before you begin the application process.