- Status: Pre-candidate
- Advisors: Kathleen Sienko & Kentaro Toyama
- Description of Research: I am passionate about improving the way we design technologies intended for social and economic impact. My research interests include (1) cross-cultural user and design research and (2) methods of incorporating social impact parameters and contextual factors into the engineering design process.
- Keywords: Design for Development, Context of Use, Social Innovation, Design Process
- Research Disciplines: Design ethnography, Engineering for global development
- Awards: ASME Engineering for Change Fellow (2017-2019), 2018 Clara L. Simmerville Award for International Education
- Burleson, G., Tilt, B., Sharp, K., MacCarty, N. (2019). Reinventing boiling: A rapid ethnographic and engineering evaluation of a high-efficiency thermal water treatment technology in Uganda. Energy Research and Social Science. Vol. 52, p68-77.
Burleson, G., Sharp, K., Ruder, B., Goodwin, B., Butcher, B. (2017). Soap-Making Process Improvement: Including Social, Cultural and Resource Constraints in the Engineering Design Process. International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering. Vol. 12:2, p81-102.
- Rojas, C., Burleson, G. (2019) The importance of an enabling environment for pay-as-you-go solar home systems: A case study of rural Panama, Proceedings of the 2019 UM Sustainability and Development Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, USA. Oct 11-14, 2019.
- Maranga, I., Burleson, G., Cristen, R., Da Silva, I., (2019). Design and testing of a solar-powered bicycle in Nairobi, Kenya. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference Proceedings. Anaheim, CA, USA. Aug. 18-21, 2019.
- Burleson, G., Sharp, K. (2018). Comparative Study of Maintenance Planning and Failure Modes of Drinking Water Projects: Case Studies from Eastern Uganda. 2018 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC). San Jose, CA. Oct. 18-21, 2018.
- Burleson, G., Tilt, B., Sharp, K., MacCarty, N., (2018) Renewable Resources and Energy Transitions: An Ethnographic and Experimental Engineering Approach to Evaluating a Biomass-Powered Water Treatment System. Proceedings of the Society for Applied Anthropology Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, USA. April 3-7, 2018.
- Burleson, G., MacCarty, N., Sharp, K., Tilt, B. (2018). An interdisciplinary mixed-method approach to evaluating a novel water treatment technology in Eastern Uganda. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference Proceedings. Quebec City, Canada. Aug. 26-29, 2018.
MacCarty, N., Burleson, G., other authors. (2017). Design and testing of a high-efficiency rapid throughput community-scale water pasteurization system. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference Proceedings. Cleveland, OH. Aug. 6-9, 2017.
Sharp, K., Burleson, G., Ruder, B., Goodwin, B., Butcher, B. (2016). Assisting economic opportunity for women through appropriate engineering design of a soap-making process in Uganda. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference Proceedings. Charlotte, NC. Aug. 21-24, 2016.