Prerequisites for Admission
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have a relevant master’s degree (e.g., Master’s in Engineering or Business).
- Have at least one degree (BS or MS) in Engineering from an ABET-accredited institution in the US (or international equivalent). A bachelor’s degree of technology or engineering technology is not accepted.
- Applicants should have relevant industry-related working/internship experience by the beginning of the first semester of enrollment.
- An online application is required. In addition, a one-page statement of purpose, a one-page personal statement, one-page resume, 3 letters of recommendation, and official undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required.
- An applicant for the D. Eng. in Mfg. must have an advisor assigned as part of the final admission decision. After the admission committee reviews the application files, and if the applicant meets the admission requirements, the applicant will be informed to identify a faculty in the College of Engineering (CoE), Ann Arbor, who is willing to be the advisor for the applicant’s dissertation research. It is important that the D. Eng. candidate work with a faculty advisor who is familiar with the student’s area of interest and can help him/her select courses and find the necessary resources for a world class original research project. In some cases dissertations may be co-chaired by two faculty members.
- A full program funding plan is required at the time of admission. Funding depends on various factors but could include funding as a Graduate Student Research Assistant by advisor, Graduate Student Instructor or Fellowship by ISD, student initiated scholarship, employer, etc.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency and are required to provide an official score report from either the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS), or the Examination for the Michigan Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE). If a student received a bachelor’s degree from a college or university where the language of instruction is exclusively English, the English proficiency requirement MAY be waived.
- The GRE is encouraged but not required when applying to the D. Eng. in Mfg.