Curriculum and Plan of Study
Master’s Degree Requirements
Requires 30 total credits of coursework with:
- At least 24 credits* in letter graded (A-E) courses.
- At most 6 credits may be in letter graded (A-E) approved courses at the 400 level.
- At least 6 credits toward a practicum (graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory).
Online Projected Schedule and Online Curriculum
Systems Engineering + Design Core (9 credits): Breadth
We are a member of the Academic Council of the International Council of Systems Engineering. If you take the SED core courses (ISD 520, ISD 521, ISD522) and the capstone then you will not have to take the INCOSE Knowledge Exam to get certified as an Associate Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP) to a Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP). While you are pursuing your degree in SED, you can apply for free associate membership in INCOSE. Please contact your Graduate Coordinator for more information.
- ISD 520: Introduction to Systems Engineering (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer) Online, On-campus
- ISD 521: Development and Verification of System Design Requirements (Fall) Online, On-campus
- ISD 522: System Architecting, Concept Development and Embodiment Design (Winter) Online, On-campus
Student-Selected Electives (15 Credits): Depth
Students may take elective courses from across the university, provided the courses are relevant to the student’s field of study.
At least 3 credits must come from a systems engineering elective, and at least 3 credits must come from a design-focused elective. The remaining credits are at the student’s discretion, with program director approval.
Systems Engineering Elective (3 credits)
- ISD 523: Risk Analysis I (FAll) Online, on-campus
- ISD 527: Design for Six Sigma (Winter) Online, on-campus
- ISD 599A: Software Systems Engineering (TBD)
Design-Focused Elective (3 credits)
- AEROSP 483: Space Systems Design (Winter) On-campus
- AEROSP 588: Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (Winter) On-campus
- CEE 480: Design of Environmental Engineering Systems (Fall) On-campus
- DESCI 501: Analytical Product Design (Fall) On-campus
- EECS 561: Design of Digital Control Systems (Winter) On-campus
- ISD 528: Advanced Design for Manufacturability (Fall) Online, on-campus
- MECHENG/MFG 555: Design Optimization (Winter) Online, on-campus
- NAVARCH 570: Marine Design (Winter) On-campus
- NERS 561: Nuclear Core Design (Winter) On-campus
Other Elective Specialties
Note: Students may develop their own specialties based on their interests. For further course descriptions, go to the College of Engineering Bulletin.
Practicum (6 credits): Practical Application
6-credit ISD 503 Practicum
Downloadable Plans of Study
MEng in Systems Engineering and Design (MEng/SE+D) – Sample Study Plan
MEng in Systems Engieering and Deisgn (MEng/SE+D) – Sample Study Plan