Curriculum and Plan of Study
Master’s Degree Requirements
Requires 30 total credits of coursework with:
- At least 24 credits* in letter graded (A-E) courses.
- At most 6 credits may be in letter graded (A-E) approved courses at the 400 level.
- At least 6 credits toward a practicum (graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory).
Online Projected Schedule and Online Curriculum
Systems Engineering + Design Core (9 credits): Breadth
- ISD 520: Introduction to Systems Engineering (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer) Online, On-campus
- ISD 521: Development and Verification of System Design Requirements (Fall) Online, On-campus
- ISD 522: Systems Engineering Architecture and Design (Winter) Online, On-campus
Student-Selected Electives (15 Credits): Depth
Students may take elective courses from across the university, provided the courses are relevant to the student’s field of study.
At least 3 credits must come from a systems engineering elective, and at least 3 credits must come from a design-focused elective. The remaining credits are at the student’s discretion, with program director approval.
Systems Engineering Elective (3 credits)
- ISD 523: Risk Analysis I (FAll) Online, on-campus
- ISD 527: Design for Six Sigma (Winter) Online, on-campus
Design-Focused Elective (3 credits)
- AEROSP 483: Space Systems Design (Winter) On-campus
- AEROSP 588: Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (Winter) On-campus
- CEE 480: Design of Environmental Engineering Systems (Fall) On-campus
- DESCI 501: Analytical Product Design (Fall) On-campus
- EECS 561: Design of Digital Control Systems (Winter) On-campus
- ISD 528: Advanced Design for Manufacturability (Fall) Online, on-campus
- ISD 555: Design Optimization (Winter) Online, on-campus
- NAVARCH 570: Marine Design (Winter) On-campus
- NERS 561: Nuclear Core Design (Winter) On-campus
Other Elective Specialties
Note: Students may develop their own specialties based on their interests. For further course descriptions, go to the College of Engineering Bulletin.
Practicum (6 credits): Practical Application
6-credit ISD 503 Practicum
Downloadable Plans of Study
MEng in Systems Engineering and Design (MEng/SE+D) – Sample Study Plan
MEng in Systems Engieering and Deisgn (MEng/SE+D) – Sample Study Plan