ISD Disclosures

Notice of Nondiscrimination

The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. The University’s full nondiscrimination policy as well as contact information for submitting inquiries and complaints concerning discrimination can be viewed on the Office of Student Conflict Resolution website.

Consumer Information

The Office of Financial Aid provides a summary of consumer information made available to all University of Michigan students as required by the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. Each topic gives a brief description of information that is required to be disclosed and explains how it can be obtained. If you need assistance regarding the information contained here or would like a paper copy, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Distance Education Disclosures

 Nexus provides a summary of distance learning education disclaimers, including U.S. export control regulations. (For the most up-to-date list of blocked countries, please refer to the Center for Academic Innovation website.) 

Professional Licensure and Required Experiential Learning Placements

Unless specifically indicated by academic program representatives or informational materials, the University of Michigan (U-M) does not represent or guarantee that its online degree programs will satisfy professional licensure requirements outside of the United States. (Within the United States, the degree to which the completion of a program satisfies educational requirements for licensure also varies.) Likewise—unless specifically indicated by academic program representatives or informational materials—U-M makes no representation with regard to (i) whether a field experience, clinical rotation, or other experiential learning placements completed in a foreign jurisdiction would satisfy licensure requirements in the United States and (ii) whether an experiential learning placement completed as part of a U-M program, regardless of whether it is completed inside or outside of the United States, would satisfy requirements set by a foreign professional licensure agency operating outside of the United States. 

Therefore, students and prospective students should independently research and determine whether completing an online or hybrid program at U-M—including the specific circumstances under which an experiential learning placement would be completed, when applicable—would satisfy educational requirements of the jurisdiction in which they intend to seek licensure.

Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Taxes. 

U.S. Citizenship or legal permanent residency is a requirement for federal financial aid and FAFSA eligibility. University and advertised external scholarships may not be available to all international students. Students and prospective students are advised to review all eligibility criteria listed for such scholarships carefully. Depending on your location or country of citizenship, you may be required to pay taxes in your location or country of citizenship, in addition to the tuition and fees you will pay to the University of Michigan. These taxes may result from “purchasing” educational content, receiving scholarships, or from other triggering events relating to your participation in this online program.

State Authorization

The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (U-M) is an accredited public institution that participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA). This combination of factors authorizes U-M to enroll online students from all states and territories in the United States. This also means that otherwise eligible and qualifying students, whether participating in-state or out-of-state, can use federal financial aid to support tuition and fees associated with U-M online degrees and certificates. Additional, state-by-state information is provided below

While programs that lead to professional licensure may be “authorized” in your home state, this does not guarantee that the program will also satisfy prerequisites for becoming licensed in the profession as defined by the applicable state licensing body in your state. The next section provides additional information regarding licensure. 

Please also note that there may be consequences with regard to professional licensure eligibility for students who move to other states or territories while completing online programs. For programs leading to professional licensure, students are advised to determine whether their program will satisfy the academic prerequisites for professional licensure in a new state.


To better inform current and prospective students and to comply with federal disclosure requirements, the University of Michigan (“U-M”) provides information regarding whether completion of a program that is designed to meet or advertised as meeting educational requirements for licensure would be sufficient to meet such requirements in each U.S. state, territory, and district (collectively, “State”). Please note that educational prerequisites to licensure can sometimes vary considerably by state and determinations may not have been made in all cases. Where determinations have not been made, this information will be disclosed as well. 

These notices, where applicable, will generally be found on program description or FAQ pages. If you need assistance locating professional licensure notifications applicable to your current or desired program of study, please contact your department directly. You may also be able to locate this information through one of the links provided below. Depending on what determinations have been made with regard to licensure eligibility where individual students or applicants are located, some may receive additional information in the form of direct notifications from their department.

Note that additional, non-educational requirements for professional licensure such as work and examination requirements also vary by State. Students are ultimately responsible for researching, understanding, and satisfying these requirements in the State in which they will seek licensure. 

College of Engineering Professional Licensure Disclosure Information can be found on the Engineering Career Resource Center website

Direct Disclosures and Student Location Determination Procedures

Federal Authorization and Professional Licensure Disclosure laws (34 CFR 600.9(c) and 34 CFR 688.43(c)) require the University of Michigan (U-M) to determine student location in order to provide students with the appropriate authorization and licensing disclosures. When applicable, individual disclosures will be made using the information provided by the applicant prior to their initial enrollment in the academic program. Initial enrollment occurs when an admitted student registers for their first term courses. If the applicant’s department has not received updated location information prior to sending its pre-enrollment disclosures, the department will use the address provided on a student’s application.

To report a change in location after initial disclosures have been sent, students should update their local or permanent address using Wolverine Access. The Office of the Registrar will record any changes that a student makes to their location via their Wolverine Access account. Upon receiving a location-change notification from the Office of the Registrar, the student’s department, School, or College will be responsible for providing updated disclosures to the student, when applicable. 

Complaints for Distance Education Students

The University of Michigan is fully committed to serving all students, whether participating in person or online. The Office of Student Conflict Resolution serves as a broad resource for those seeking consultation and mediation support as well as more formal resolution options when experiencing conflict. For complaints relating to harassment or discrimination, please contact the Office of Institutional Equity. For complaints relating to the institution’s policies and consumer protection issues, the University encourages students and prospective students to first contact personnel in the office, department, school, or college where the complaint originated. More information about the internal complaint processes U-M offers can be found in the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities

Rackham Students. Rackham Graduate School has detailed these complaint procedures for its students. The full list of Rackham programs is available here.  

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction after exhausting U-M’s internal review processes, your complaint may be eligible for external review by one or more agencies. These processes are detailed below. 

Please note that student complaints relating to student grades or student misconduct will not be heard by any of the following agencies. Such complaints may be reviewed through the established U-M procedures detailed in the previous section. Allegations of fraud or other criminal misconduct against U-M can always be heard by the attorney general or other designated entities in a student’s home state. 

Michigan Residents and SARA-Eligible, Out-of-State Complaints. Both Michigan residents and students located in a state or territory that has joined the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA), as indicated in the state list provided below (marked with an asterisk*), may submit a complaint to Michigan’s Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau (CSCL), which operates within Michigan’s SARA portal entity, the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). Additional information regarding complaint eligibility can be found in the CSCL complaint form linked above and in the Consumer Protection section of the SARA Manual

Additional Information for Out-of-State Students. If you do not live in Michigan or in another SARA state, or if the nature of the complaint does not fall within the scope of SARA, you may instead contact the relevant agency in your home state for additional support. This contact information is provided for you below

Military. Active military service members, veterans, and family members of military service members or veterans may be eligible to submit a complaint for review to the Department of Defense (DoD).

Accreditation. U-M is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding ability to meet accreditation standards, may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

Authorizations and Complaint Processes by State

Choose your state from the list to be directed to additional state authorization and complaint process information: