Applying to Integrative Systems + Design
Applicants for any of ISD’s Master of Engineering or Doctor of Engineering degrees should use the application administered by the College of Engineering Graduate Programs Office, indicating preference for online or on-campus study.
Applicants for the Design Science Master of Science or PhD programs should use the application administered by the Rackham Graduate School.
Non-Refundable Application Fees
The non-refundable application fee for domestic students is $75 and $90 for international students.
Tuition is determined by a number of factors. Detailed information about tuition and fees for academic programs is available at the Office of the Registrar. The cost of attendance information can be found at the Office of Financial Aid’s website.
The University has a long-standing commitment to making higher education more accessible to individual students. Various types of funding are available in the form of loans; work-study; scholarships, grants, and fellowships; and alternative payment options.
For additional information, please refer to our Financial Aid resources.
Each degree program has its own prerequisites. Please refer to the graduate degree program page and review the prerequisites for your program before beginning an application.
Not Quite Ready?
Non-Credit Professional Certificates
Students who wish to pursue non-credit opportunities such as online certificates can explore those opportunities through Nexus at Michigan Engineering’s Non-Credit Professional Programs. Students who wish to apply for those opportunities must do so on the Nexus website.
ISD Non-Candidate for Degree
Students who have a unique learning need might find the right fit with ISD’s Non-Candidate for Degree (NCFD) status.
Non-Candidate for Degree (NCFD) is a temporary status whereby new students can be introduced to online learning courses and earn transferable academic credit from the University of Michigan. NCFD students pay the same tuition rate as degree-seeking students, and may take up to 2 ISD courses within one academic year; either 2 ISD courses in one semester, or 1 ISD course per semester. NCFD status is discontinued after the completion of 2 ISD courses and cannot be repeated.
NCFD status may appeal to the following groups:
1. Students enrolled in other universities who are interested in earning transferable academic credit from U-M
2. Professionals interested in taking 1-2 courses as part of professional development
3. Anyone who wants to take 1-2 courses as a precursor to seeking formal admission into a degree-seeking program later
4. Graduates of ISD programs who wish to take additional courses
5. Students from other U-M programs who wish to take an online course while not enrolled in any other U-M course during a semester
NCFD Admissions Process
Applicants must submit the required application materials below at least two weeks before the semester begins.
2. Non-refundable application fee
3. Official copy of undergraduate transcript
4. Statement of purpose: Applicant must review ISD degree program information and indicate which ISD degree program most closely aligns with their interest, including intended ISD courses.
NCFD applicants do not need to submit a personal statement, resume, letters of recommendation, or GRE scores. In some cases, an English proficiency test may be required.
Degree Admissions Process after completing 2 ISD courses as NCFD
If NCFD students are interested in becoming degree-seeking students in an ISD program, they must meet the following requirements:
1. Achieve a grade of at least a “B” (3.0/4.0) on any courses completed as an NCFD student
2. Submit a new online academic program application and all required materials by the stated deadlines. When you apply, you will select the specific ISD academic program you are applying for.
Students will be notified of an admissions decision in 6-8 weeks after all application materials are received. Successfully completing 2 NCFD courses does not guarantee your acceptance into an ISD program.
If you have any questions about NCFD eligibility, please contact email@example.com.